Photomosaics are image montages which consist of small pictures called cell images. When viewed from a distance, you see the source image. Standard photo mosaic applications are based on similar processes. Applications are different in implemented recognition/selection algorithms and built-in functions for control/enhance mosaic rendering process.
The following tools are available :
- Mosaic Creator : shareware – Lite: 29 US$; Pro: 99 US$
- Mazaika : shareware – 49,95 US$
- ArcSoft PhotoMontage 2000 : shareware – 39,99 US$
- AndreaMosaic program 3.13 : freeware
- Foto Mosaik Edda : freeware
The developer of Mosaic Creator published a comparison table of most available photo- and tile creation applications. A list of more tools is available in the Google directory.