Today I installed the TerraTec Magix Movie on DVD (version 184.108.40.206) with different video devices.
The program allows to
- duplicate DVD’S and CD’s
- record files from digital video, from analog video, from audio and from a PC-region
- import videos from different sources
- edit videos by adding titles, motions and special effects
- create and burn DVD’s with menus and navigation indexes
I did several tests to digitize videos from an VHS-recorder on my Media-PC with a Dual Core Intel Pentium R 3 GHz CPU running Windows 7. The recording parameters have been the following :
- DVD PAL/B
- MPEG main profile
- 720 x 576 pixels (maximum resolution)
- frame ratio 4:3
- frame rate : 25 frames/s
- I-frames : 12
- P-frames : 3
- video : YUY2
- variable bit rate per second (max=9500, min=3000, mean=4500)
- audio MPEG-Layer 2
- audio sample rate rer second : 48000
- audio bitrate : 128 Kbit/s
- VCR checked
There are no visible differences between the different quality values ranging from 1 to 15. With high quality values I noticed however some CPU performance problems (sound noise, frame skips).
The TerraTec TV device H5 with composite interface provides a good sound quality and a reasonnable video quality with a visible jitter between frames.
- video driver : TerraTec H5 Analog Capture (USB – DShow) *
- audio drivers : TerraTec H5 Analog Capture
The second available audio driver Ligne (TerraTec H5) provides no sound.
The TerraTec video device G3 with composite or Scart interface provides a reasonnable sound quality and a good video quality.
- video driver : TerraTec G3 Analog Capture (USB – DShow) *
- audio drivers : TerraTec G3
The sound levels are not displayed in a reliable manner on the screen. With the second available audio driver Ligne (TerraTec G3), the audio levels are always shown, but they are very high, and there is a lot of echo.
The inbuilt TV-Card SAA 7131 is shown in the driver window, but without providing an image or a sound.
- video driver : 713x BDA Analog Capture (DShow) *
- audio drivers : 713x BDA Analog Audio Capture
In general the software is not very stable and provides a lot of crashes in Windows 7. The same is true for Windows XP. New versions of the Magix Movie on DVD Software are available in USA (version 8 ) and in Germany (version 9 ), but they don’t have an optimal support for the TerraTec devices.