Adobe Flash Player 11 introduced a new architecture for hardware-accelerated graphics (processed by GPU = graphics processing unit) rendering called Stage3D (codename Molehill). This set of 3D APIs brings 3D to the Adobe Flash Platform. The book Adobe Flash Player 11 Stage3D (Molehill) Game Programming Beginner’s Guide, written by Christer Kaitila, shows you how to make your very own next-generation 3D games in Flash. Christer Kaitila is the curator of a popular news website called www.videogamecoder.com which syndicates news from hundreds of other game developer blogs.
The following frameworks and libraries are available for Stage3D :
- Flare3D Studio, by Flare3D
- Alternativa3D, by AlternativaPlatform, a Russian based company
- Away3D, by the Away3D team (open source project)
- EasyAGAL, by David Barlia
- Minko, by Aerys, a french company creating 3D and network solutions for next-gen applications
- Mixamo, an innovative online 3D character animation service for 3D professionals
- ND2D, by Lars Gerckens
- Proscenium, by Adobe
- Starling, by Gamua (Open Source Game Engine for Flash)
- Axel Game Library, by arkeus (Lee Miller)
- Yogurt3D, by Yogurt Technologies
Flare3D Studio and Mixamo’s online animation service have been integrated into a smooth workflow, allowing Flash developers to easily leverage the Stage 3D API and its capabilities. Stage3D content can be embedded in AIR 3.2 to deploy applications on mobiles, including iOS devices.
The Stage3D API includes a low level shading language, called AGAL (Adobe Graphics Assembly Language). Shaders are programs that run on the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit).
Tutorials and additional informations about Stage3D and related frameworks are listed below :
- AIR 3.2 – Making an Endless Runner with Stage3D, by esDot Studio
- Axel tutorials, by Lee Miller
- Flash Builder 4.6 + Away3D + AIR 3.2 + iOS, by Jon
- Considering Flash-To-Mobile Development, by Rivello Multimedia Consulting (RMC)
- Export 3D Flash games to iOS/Android, by Delta-Strike
- Stage3D vs WebGL Performance, by Felix Turner
- Spaced Away game in Stage3D/Flash launched on iOS App Store, by FlashRealtime.com