The Internet Society engaged in a scenario planning exercise to reveal plausible evolutions of the Internet in the future. Based upon the two questions :
- Will the world embrace or resist the open Internet model ?
- Will the Command and Control or the Distributed and Decentralized model be more succesful ?
These two questions defined four quadrants, which led to four very different stories about how the world might develop over the next eight to ten years :
- Common Pool Scenario (video)
- Boutique Networks Scenario (video)
- Moats and Drawbridges Scenario (video)
- Porous Garden Scenario (video)
All of these stories contain some elements of the Internet of today. The challenge for everyone is to contribute to help the Internet to evolve in a direction like the scenario called The Common Pool.