Recently, Steve Jobs published his thoughts on Flash on the Apple website.
Steve Jobs explains why Apple does not allow Flash on iPhones, iPods and iPads.
- open standards : Adobe’s Flash products are 100% proprietary
- full web : most videos are available in a modern format, H.264, and viewable on iPhones, iPods and iPads
- reliability, security and performance
- battery life
- touch : Flash was created for PCs and mice, not for mobile devices with touch interface
- Apple wants to provide the most advanced and innovative platform to the developers
One on the first to follow this idea is the developer of the JW video player, Jeroen Wijering. Even if he thinks that there is still a lot of work to be done before HTML5 reaches the maturity level that Flash has for delivering video content to the users, he released the beta version of the HTML5 JW player two weeks ago.