Last update : December 10, 2012
To organize/manage/store files on Amazon S3, you need a special software tool.
The following list shows a few selected free 3S clients :
- S3Fox Organizer : this plugin for the Firefox browser is easy to install. Developed by Suchi Software Solutions, the most recent version is 0.6.
- S3Browser : this Windows only free S3 tool supports multiple Amazon S3 accounts, S3 metadata editing and bucket sharing on top of other features. The latest version is 3.6.7 and has been released on November 20, 2012. S3 Browser is free for personal use only. Users who run the application in commercial, business, government, or military institutions, or for any other profit activity must purchase a Pro license. The Pro license provides some additional features, e.g. a working user-metadata edition.
- Cloudberry S3 Explorer : this tool makes managing files in Amazon S3 storage easy. By providing a user interface to Amazon S3 accounts, files, and buckets, CloudBerry lets you manage your files on cloud just as you would on your own local computer. The current version is 3.7 released November 14, 2012. A CloudBerry Explorer PRO version is also available which offers some advanced features over the Freeware version. It makes managing files Amazon S3 easier, more secure and cost efficient.
- Cyberduck : this open source client is an FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, Cloud Files and Amazon S3 browser for the Mac. It features an easy to use interface with quickly accessible bookmarks. The outline view of the browser allows to browse large folder structures efficiently and you can quickly preview files with Quick Look. (version 4.21 relaesd December 12, 2011)
- Amazon S3 for WordPress : this WordPress plugin (version 0.4) developed by Joe Tan allows you to use Amazon’s Simple Storage Service to host your media for your WordPress powered blog. The plugin was not updated during the last two years.
- WordPress plugin for Amazon S3 : Donovan Schonknecht created a very simple WordPress plugin for Amazon S3 which uses his Amazon S3 PHP class.
The latest versions of S3Browser and Cloudberry support the new Amazon AWS archive solution Glacier.
There are also some commercial S3 tools available, e.g. JungleDisk, Gladinet Cloud Desktop, Bucket Explorer, SMEStorage and CrossFTP.